Sunday, November 8, 2009

#7 Blog About Technology

Technology is a major part of our lives today, whether we like it or not. I have always thought of my self as somewhat tech-savvy, but with all of the new Internet technologies I am not so convinced of that fact anymore. It’s so easy to get overwhelmed with everything that is out there, and how do you pick and choose? Do I really need or want this technology, or am I using it because everyone else is? Here are a few of my thoughts:

When Facebook really started to gather steam I thought it was a great idea (and I still do) to connect and keep up with friends and family. However, I don’t even go to my account that often. Maybe it is because I am a fairly private person, and I feel a little weird about posting what’s going on in my life, or maybe it is because my life really isn’t so exciting that I feel I don’t have anything all that interesting to say. However, I do feel it’s a great way to feel more connected in other’s lives, but how much you stay connected is a personal choice (i.e. posting comments on every single wall entry, and the amount that you post on your own wall, etc.). Maybe this is a point of technology in the first place: you can modify and use it to your own individual needs.

Twitter: I am not working on a cure for cancer, or negotiating peace talks. I can’t imagine that anyone would care if tweeted that I was doing homework. Besides, if I am already on Facebook, I can post it there if I choose. At my library, we were considering tweeting our summer reading volunteers when an opening came up. This would both save staff time of calling through the volunteer list, and be an easy way to contact all of our substitutes at once. Increasing budget cuts prevented the idea from being tested, however.

I love the idea of electronic book readers: a wealth of reading material at your fingertips that you can take with you anywhere. That’s the beauty of technology: adding ease and convenience to our busy, modern lives. But what about the feeling I get when I run my fingers across the rows and rows of books in a library? The tangible sensation of opening a book and turning the pages, and the smell of the paper it is printed on? I suppose I am still a purist in this area, but I cannot deny the existence or the popularity of digital resources, whether they are e-books or audiobooks. My library patrons love our digital, downloadable catalog, and they are able to consume books the same as I, just in a different way.

I do appreciate technology and welcome what it can do to enhance our lives, especially for libraries and their patrons. The goal for me is to better learn how to differentiate between what is truly helpful and what is trendy, and to learn how to really use the technology that can create a positive impact on my life and for library communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment